HISTORICAL PHOTOS OF DOWNE HOUSE
Downe House was founded in 1907 by Miss Olive Willis and Miss Alice Carver. The building that they found to suit their purposes best was this Down House, which had been the home of Charles Darwin and his family, in the village of Downe, near Orpington in Kent. It was close enough to London, yet in real countryside and had twenty-two acres of its own.
Olive Willis and her Seniors at the Pepperpot in 1922, the year that the school moved to Cold Ash.
Music making has always been a vital part of life at Downe House.
Two girls modelling the first school uniform, the djibbah, which had the school's emblem embroidered on the front.
Gym, massed gym displays and so called 'floppy dancing' were always popular. The tradition of massed gym displays has been revived in 2010s.
1932 and the new Dining Room is opened. Each year at Christmas, choral would process around the gallery, singing carols by candle light to the delight of the school community.
Miss Olive Willis, founder and Headmistress of Downe House, with her domestic staff in 1935.
Transport to and from London for a time was called 'The Scrum'. This photo is from about 1940.
Downe House from the air in the 1970.
The first school computers in the 1980s.