Lacrosse National Schools Finals

The Surrey Sports Park in Guildford was the scene of the Lacrosse National Schools Finals this weekend and what a competition it proved to be for our 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams.

Preparation and training took place in earnest in the lead up to the finals and the girls produced an incredible performance. On Friday the 1st team came home winners of the group with the best goal average: scored 52, conceded 2. The girls went through to the Championship division on Saturday and won the group in the morning, beating three teams, including rivals Berkhamsted School.

The next two games were tough wins but the team was looking strong. In the semi-final they were trailing 4-1 with three minutes to go but fought hard to get back to a 4-4 draw. The team gained possession from the draw but could not convert to a goal. The outcome turned on a golden goal, first to score in extra time, and Benenden put the ball in the net.

This action-packed, heart-stopping final was the last match for those 1st team members in the Upper Sixth. It was a fantastic weekend of lacrosse with Downe losing to the eventual champions and coming home placed in the top four, upholding the School record of maintaining a place in the top ten every year this century.

The 2nds played a total of seven tough matches of which they won five and lost two, one of which was against the eventual winners, St Catherine’s Bramley. They put up a great defence, and made some fantastic breaks, passing and shooting in attack. They beat Guildford High, Bedford and eventually lost to Berkhamsted in the semi-final.

The 3rds played many challenging matches and came away with a win against Westonbirt and a draw against Marlborough. The team was in the first tournament and pooled against 1st teams so did themselves proud with some determined play.

The Junior Teams then competed at The Surrey Sports Park in Guildford on Monday and Tuesday.

The U15As also did extremely well in reaching the semi-finals. They beat Guildford High 2-0 after playing three minutes of possession in the knock out round of the last 16 and then beat Bedford in the quarter-finals. Sadly, they lost 1-3 in the final to Berkhamsted who had been winners for the last two years.

The U15Bs and U14s had tough sections and they all tried their best to reach the next round but sadly they missed out by only one or two goals in a few matches.

The U13As only lost one game in the morning and then proceeded to the quarter finals after beating Godstowe in a golden goal after full time. They were beaten 1-3 in the quarters by Wycombe Abbey.

Mrs Lydia Rayne, Director of Sport, commented, “Well done to all the players! We were delighted to achieve two semi-finals and one quarter final. The girls deserve every credit for these excellent results and giving 100% throughout all their matches. I’m immensely proud of them. What a great way to finish the season.”

Posted: 8th Mar 2017

Read more news...